We are ICIMOD, a unique intergovernmental institution leading the global effort to protect the pulse ...
With a vast array of partners, we organize our work in what we call Regional ...
Successful interventions can change lives for the better. We hope that the stories of success ...
Adaptation and Resilience Building
ICIMOD Headquarters, Khumaltar, Nepal
29 September 2021
Anu Joshi Shrestha & Sabina Uprrety
Download background and agenda
Entrepreneurship plays an important role in reducing poverty, enhancing productivity and efficiency through innovation, and encouraging the youth to participate in economic activities, thereby ensuring sustained economic growth of the country. A total of 923,356 micro, small and medium enterprises (MSMEs) operating in Nepal contribute to about 22% of the national GDP. These enterprises are vulnerable to highly fragile, volatile, and uncertain situations. The impacts of external shocks and stressors from climate change and the COVID-19 pandemic have further exacerbated and compounded the risks they are already facing. The Government of Nepal, together with development partners and the private sector have undertaken several initiatives to understand and boost the entrepreneurial ecosystem to create a vibrant business environment and contribute to Nepal’s economic growth.
To provide a strategic direction at all three tiers of the government, the Ministry of Industry, Commerce and Supplies (MoICS) together with the International Centre for Integrated Mountain Development (ICIMOD) is developing a policy framework to strengthen entrepreneurship ecosystem in Nepal. This policy framework will be a guiding document for ministries, provinces, and municipalities as well as the private sector, I/NGOs, and academics promoting entrepreneurship in Nepal.
In this regard, the MoICS and ICIMOD are jointly organizing a half day stakeholder consultation workshop on 29 September 2021 at the ICIMOD headquarters in Khumaltar.
Around 25 are expected to participate in the workshop. The organizers shall strive for a gender balance among participants
Wednesday, 29 September 2021 | ICIMOD Headquarters, Khumaltar, Nepal
· Welcome remarks – Basanta Shrestha, Director Strategic Cooperation, ICIMOD
· Opening remarks – Narayan Duwadee, Joint Secretary, MoICS
· Objectives and outline of the programme – Anu Joshi Shrestha, Enterprise, and Value Chain Development Specialist, ICIMOD
· Introduction of the participants
· DRAFT outline of the Entrepreneurship Framework – Surendra Raj Joshi, Senior Resilient Livelihoods Specialist, ICIMOD
· Context, process, and guiding principles for framework development
· Challenges and opportunities in the context of Nepal
· Key enabling factors for entrepreneurship
· Strategic thrust and recommended actions
(Each group will have 5-6 members with 1 facilitator)