Adaptation and Livelihood Promotion
Effective adaptation strategies are required to deal with the different kind of environmental changes the region is facing. This component emphasize effective adaptation to climate change and livelihood promotion in the Koshi Basin through identification and development of livelihood options and practices that sustainably use basin resources and are sensitive to socio-cultural and geophysical context .
- Vulnerability assessment of the Koshi basin and systematic review of existing adaptation strategies.
- The social, economic and environmental costs and benefits of upstream-downstream risk reduction measures are assessed and benefit sharing options identified.
- Best practices in adaptation to climate change identified and tested with a special focus on gender sensitive and inclusive approaches
- Adaptation strategies developed for a range of socio-economic, environmental, geo-spatial settings and for identified vulnerable socio-economic groups with a supporting Toolkit for implementation
- Enhanced capacity for improved planning and implementation of adaptation practices and pathways
- Action research to identify and pilot adaptation activities
- Showcase Programme - support projects that promote innovative policies, measures, and actions for sustainable water management in the Koshi Basin.
- Stakeholder consultation and exposure visits
- Identify and promote local change champions and local knowledge
- Knowledge sharing workshops and capacity building
- Basin-wide vulnerability assessment and systematic review of inclusive adaptation strategies with specific focus on upstream and downstream interdependence.
- Documentation of local, regional and international best adaptation practices and strategies relevant for the Koshi basin with specific focus on improving water storage and water productivity, food security, and livelihood improvement.
- Action research at pilot sites initiated for testing adaptation practices and pathways including integration of local knowledge.
- Reports of local capacity building activities to plan and implement adaptation practices at local level in the pilot sites
- Policy recommendations and best adaptation practices appropriate across socio-cultural and geophysical contexts within the Koshi basin.