NATIONAL WORKSHOP ON
Atmospheric Watch Initiative
Hotel Himalaya, Lalitpur
07 September 2022
ICIMOD’s Atmospheric Watch Initiative (AWI), under the Regional Programme on Atmosphere, is organising a one-day workshop to celebrate the third International Day of Clean Air on 7 September 2022. The workshop is being jointly organised with the Department of Environment, Nepal and will bring together different government agencies, private sectors, and stakeholders working in the air pollution sector in Nepal to share ongoing activities, progress, challenges, and way forward.
The International Day of Clean Air for blue skies is marked on 7 September every year. This year’s theme, ‘The Air We Share’, focuses on the transboundary nature of air pollution and highlight the need for collective accountability and collective action.
National-level stakeholders’ engagement addressing different air pollution issues from different sectors.
Managing Nepal’s growing air pollution crisis requires continuous monitoring of air quality at different locations. Air quality data is a prerequisite for the public to make decisions that result in reduced exposure to hazardous air pollution. The data is also necessary for designing measures and policies that respond to high levels of pollution and reduce emissions from the correct sources in the long run. The data is also needed to monitor the effectiveness of implemented measures and policies.
In 2015, the Department of Environment, with technical support from ICIMOD, designed a decade-scale air quality monitoring plan for Nepal for the gradual development of air quality monitoring stations in 56 different locations around the country, including the Kathmandu Valley. By the end of 2021, 27 Air Quality Monitoring Stations (AQMS) were established by the Government of Nepal, including those established by ICIMOD. The Department of Environment has been conducting different initiatives either stand-alone or with partners ultimately aiming to improve air quality.
Host: Prakash KC, Environment Inspector, Department of Environment
Moderator: Nabina Maharjan, Environment Inspector, Department of Environment
· Rejina Maskey, Central Department of Environmental Science, Tribhuvan University (Study and research)
· Nawa Raj Dhakal, Deputy Executive Director, Alternative Energy Promotion Center (Household sector)
· Khagendra Basnet, Director, Department of Industry (Industry sector)
· Ramchandra Paudel, Director, Department of Transport Management (Transport sector)
· Pradeep Amatya, Lalitpur Metropolitan Office (Waste management)
· Tika Ram Chapagain, Senior Scientist, National Agricultural Environment Research Center, Nepal Agriculture Research Council (NARC) (Crop residue burning)
Moderator: Nabina Maharjan, Department of Environment
– Ministry of Forests and Environment
– Ministry of Finance
– Federation of Nepalese Chambers of Commerce and Industry
– Confederation of Nepalese Industries
– Kathmandu Metropolitan City Office
– Nepal Bankers’ Association