The Mountain Research Initiative and Kumaon University Nainital, Uttarakhand, India propose bringing together in Nainital a small number of development-oriented scientists with experience in urbanization in mountain environments from different regions of the world to participate in a synthesis workshop, Urban Growth in High Mountains: Understanding the Process and Options for Management under Global Change, in late October or November 2011.
The main objectives of the proposed workshop are to
- specify the drivers and trajectories of urbanization in the world's mountains,
- assess the impacts of urbanization on both social and ecological systems,
- examine the options for more sustainable management of urbanization in different mountain ecosystems of the world with possible recommendations for the research and the donor communities.
The main outcome of this review and synthesis will be a peer-reviewed paper (or papers) to be published in a high-ranking international scientific journal.
For more information on the workshop please consult the synthesis workshop concept note. More workshop information also will soon be available on the MRI website.
If you would like to participate in this workshop, please send
- your complete CV with current contact information,
- a 300 word article that details how you could contribute to the three objectives of the workshop (be explicit!), with particular mention of the mountain regions where you have done your research
to firstname.lastname@example.org by 15 April 2011. Please mention the urbanization synthesis workshop in the subject line.
Note: If you agree to participate, then you also are agreeing to provide a high level of participation prior to, during, and after the workshop, particularly in the drafting of the synthesis article(s). We don't call them workshops for nothing!
MRI will fund the travel costs of international participants.