Terms of Reference
Title: Programme Associate
Apply Now TwitCount
The International Centre for Integrated Mountain Development (ICIMOD) is a regional intergovernmental learning and knowledge sharing centre serving the eight regional member countries of the Hindu Kush Himalaya (HKH) – Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, China, India, Myanmar, Nepal, and Pakistan. Our aim is to influence policy and practices to meet environmental and livelihood challenges emerging in the region. To do this we bring together researchers, practitioners, and policy makers from the HKH and around the globe to generate and share knowledge, support evidence-based decision making, and encourage regional collaboration. ICIMOD delivers impact through its six Regional Programmes of Adaptation to Change, Transboundary Landscapes, River Basins, Cryosphere and Atmosphere, Mountain Environment Regional Information System, and Himalayan University Consortium. These regional programmes are supported by the four Thematic Areas of Livelihoods, Ecosystem Services, Water and Air, and Geospatial Solutions and strengthened by Knowledge Management and Communication. ICIMOD seeks to reduce poverty and vulnerability and improve the lives and livelihoods of mountain women and men, now and in the future.
Thematic areas, regional programmes and initiatives are supported by Programme Associates, who provides overall administrative and logistic support to ensure the smooth functioning of the unit.
Responsibilities and tasks
The Programme Associate will be responsible for the following tasks:
Manage general administration for the programme/theme
- Provide administrative support to ensure the smooth operation of the initiative/regional programme, including the preparation of work calendar, contractual agreements, and annual plan and progress reports
- Receive guests and visitors of the programme and theme
- Ensure availability/functioning of required stationery and equipment
Support in organizing national/international travels and events
- Prepare the annual event calendar and related budgets; liaise with other relevant administrative sections for event organization and management
- Prepare participants’ lists, dispatch invitations, and manage follow-up communication
- Arrange travel and vehicles as required and manage travel claim distribution
- Arrange other logistic requirements for the event including travel/hotel/vehicle requirements, stationery, and other equipment
Coordinate finance and administration
- Ensure completion of financial reports against the standard checklist
- Monitor project budget utilization and payments and liaise with the Finance Unit for timely release of payments
Support knowledge management and communication
- Assist team members in typing, formatting, and printing of reports and documents
- Manage the unit’s information management system, including proper filing of documents
- Prepare submissions for the web and newsletter as required
- Maintain an updated contact list and communicate with external parties as required
- Execute any other tasks given by the Regional Programme Manager/Theme Leader/Programme Coordinator as required and within one’s capacity
- Works in close collaboration with Program Officer for a smooth operation of the Initiative
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration preferred. An advanced degree or experience related to social and environmental sciences and natural resource management will be an asset.
- At least 3 years of work experience in an administrative capacity
- Experience in financial reporting and maintenance of accounts
- Strong interest to work in administration in the sector of environment and development
- Demonstrated ability to speak and write fluently in English and Nepali language
- Excellent computer skills (MS Office applications)
- Management and coordination: Ability to plan, execute, and prioritize one’s own time and tasks effectively and provide admin/logistic/coordination support to others; ability to effectively coordinate with others to produce results
- Communication and stakeholder management: Ability to effectively communicate with stakeholders through telephone, email, and face-to-face on operational issues and queries; ability to present and discuss ideas effectively within the team; ability to listen to others and solve minor issues
- Results orientation: Proactive approach for smooth running of internal processes; ability to work independently with a strong sense of initiative, discipline, and self-motivation and to use common sense to create solutions
- Social/team competency: Ability to work smoothly and effectively with others in the team to establish constructive ideas or solutions that meet team objectives; ability to work with colleagues from different cultural and social backgrounds
- Flexibility: Ability to easily adapt to changing contexts, technologies, and approaches when necessary; ability to make improvements in own work area.
The duty station is Kathmandu.
One year, of which the first three months is probationary, with possibility of extension, subject to ICIMOD’s future funding levels and performance.
As early as possible.
Salaries and benefits of ICIMOD are competitive compared to other regional organizations; remuneration is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Gender and Equity Policy
Qualified and eligible women candidates and those from disadvantaged backgrounds are highly encouraged to apply. ICIMOD implements a gender fair policy and is supportive of working women. It operates a Day-Care Centre at the campus and is committed to gender mainstreaming at the organisational and programmatic levels.
Method of application